Do you have a lived experience of sexual, domestic and/or family violence? Are you an advocate or do you know someone who is? Are you interested in working to prevent violence by sharing a personal story in a supported way?
This project will support people who have experienced sexual, domestic and/or family violence to publically tell their story. The NSW Voices for Change: Media Advocacy to End Family Violence and Sexual Assault Project ensures that the voices of people who have experienced family violence and sexual assault are heard through the media and public events. Led by DVNSW, the program seeks to influence a change in community attitudes and to promote the prevention of violence against women. The project is funded by Our Watch, the national organisation to prevent violence against women and their children. The project is informed by Change the Story: A Shared Framework for the Primary Prevention of Violence Against Women and their Children in Australia which is available at www.ourwatch.org.au
About the advocate role:
- The advocate role is an unpaid, volunteer position
- Advocates will receive support in their role, including three days of professional training in the research behind preventing violence against women, trauma, persuasive speaking, advocacy, and media engagement
- Advocates will receive debriefing support from DVNSW and access to six free counselling sessions
- DVNSW will work with media outlets to connect advocates with journalists
- DVNSW will work with advocates to help their story become public
To learn more, see the full position description here.
To be eligible for the Voices for Change project you must:
- Have lived experience of domestic and/or family violence and/or sexual assault.
- Feel ready and safe to publically discuss your experience of violence.
- Be available to attend the media advocacy training dates on February 8th, 15th and 22nd 2019 9.30-4.30 in Sydney.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Be willing to complete a NSW police check.
- Be willing and available to speak to the media and/or to speak publically about your experience.
- Identify as a woman or gender non-binary
Women applying to participate in this project will go through a risk assessment and safety planning to ensure readiness to participate safely.
Training places are limited and some people may be unable to participate.
To apply, please complete an Expression of Interest form and send in a copy of your resume no later than December 17 2018.
For more information contact DVNSW Voices for Change Project Coordinator, Renata Field on (02) 9698 9777 or firstname.lastname@example.org